University of Chicago, Yerkes Observatory, Office of the Director records

This collection contains records of the Office of the Director of Yerkes Observatory, documenting the administrative history of the observatory and the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics from 1891-1946; the collection also contains editorial and administrative records of Astrophysical Journal....

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Corporate author / creator:Yerkes Observatory.
Description:118 linear feet (236 boxes)
Language:English
Subject:Frost, Edwin Brant, -- 1866-1935 -- Correspondence.
Hale, George Ellery, -- 1868-1938 -- Correspondence.
Struve, Otto, -- 1897-1963 -- Correspondence.
Frost, Edwin Brant, -- 1866-1935.
Hale, George Ellery, -- 1868-1938.
Struve, Otto, -- 1897-1963.
Yerkes Observatory -- Records and correspondence.
Yerkes Observatory -- History -- Sources.
University of Chicago. -- Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics -- History -- Sources.
McDonald Observatory -- Archives.
McDonald Observatory.
Yerkes Observatory.
Astrophysical journal.
Astrophysical journal.
Astronomical observatories -- United States -- History -- Sources.
Refracting telescopes -- Wisconsin -- History -- Sources.
Astronomers -- United States -- Correspondence.
Astrophysicists -- United States -- Correspondence.
Astrophysics -- Research -- Illinois -- History -- Sources.
Astronomers.
Astronomical observatories.
Astrophysicists.
Astrophysics -- Research.
Refracting telescopes.
Lake Geneva (Wis.)
Williams Bay (Wis.)
Illinois.
United States.
Wisconsin.
Wisconsin -- Lake Geneva.
Wisconsin -- Williams Bay.
Archives.
History.
Records and correspondence.
Sources.
Format: E-Resource Print Archives/Manuscripts
URL for this record:http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/6862985
Hidden Bibliographic Details
Varying Form of Title:Yerkes Observatory, Office of the Director records
Notes:Open for research. No restrictions.
Yerkes Observatory, located in Williams Bay, Wisconsin, is a facility of the University of Chicago's Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics. The observatory opened in 1897 as the joint creation of three founders: William Rainey Harper, the first president of the University of Chicago; Professor George E. Hale, the observatory's first director; and Charles T. Yerkes, a wealthy Chicago businessman who provided funds for the erection of the observatory building. Known as the home of the last of the great refracting telescopes, the observatory housed the university's Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics until the 1960s, and was the site of some of the most significant research in modern astronomy and astrophysics.
Summary:This collection contains records of the Office of the Director of Yerkes Observatory, documenting the administrative history of the observatory and the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics from 1891-1946; the collection also contains editorial and administrative records of Astrophysical Journal. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence of the director from 1891-1946, during which time the position was held by George E. Hale, Edwin B. Frost, and Otto Struve. Typical correspondents included faculty, staff and students at Yerkes Observatory; university administrators; and scientists and organizations outside the university.
Cite as:When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: University of Chicago. Yerkes Observatory. Office of the Director. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library.
Cumulative Index / Finding Aids Note:Finding aid available in the Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library, 1100 E. 57th St., Chicago, IL 60637.