Economics of criminal law /
|Imprint:||Cheltenham, UK ; Northhampton, MA : Edward Elgar, ©2008.|
|Description:||xvi, 682 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.|
|Series:||Economic approaches to law ; 17|
Economic approaches to law ; 17.
|Subject:||Criminal statistics -- United States.|
Criminal law -- Economic aspects -- United States -- Statistical methods.
Droit pénal -- Aspect économique.
Droit et économie politique.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/6833701|
Table of Contents:
- Crime and punishment : an economic approach / Gary S. Becker (1968)
- The optimum enforcement of laws / George J. Stigler (1970)
- The Optimal tradeoff between the probability and magnitude of fines / A. Mitchell Polinsky and Steven Shavell (1975)
- What do alternative sanctions mean? / Dan M. Kahan (1996)
- An economic theory of the criminal law / Richard A. Posner (1985)
- Criminal law and the optimal use of nonmonetary sanctions as a deterrent / Steven Shavell (1985)
- The private enforcement of law / William M. Landes and Richard A. Posner (1975)
- Criminal procedure as a market system / Frank H. Easterbrook (1983)
- On the feasibility of identifying the crime function in a simultaneous model of crime tates and sanction levels / Franklin M. Fisher and Daniel Nagin (1978)
- The effect of prison population size on crime rates: evidence from prison overcrowding litigation / Steven D. Levitt (1996)
- Using sentence enhancements to distinguish between deterrence and incapacitation / Daniel Kessler and Steven D. Levitt (1999)
- Crime and social interactions / Edward L. Glaeser, Bruce Sacerdote and José A. Scheinkman (1996)
- The effects of the Brady Act on gun violence / Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig (2003).
- Nondiscretionary concealed weapons laws : a case study of statistics, standards of proof, and public policy / Ian Ayres and John J. Donohue III (1999)
- Uses and abuses of empirical data in the death penalty debate / John J. Donohue and Justin Wolfers (2005)
- The economic case against drug prohibition / Jeffrey A. Miron and Jeffrey Zwiebel (1995)
- The market for illegal goods : the case of drugs / Gary S. Becker, Kevin M. Murphy and Michael Grossman (2006)
- Measuring interjudge sentencing disparity : before and after the Federal Sentencing Guidelines / James M. Anderson, Jeffrey R. Kling and Kate Stith (1999)
- The impact of legalized abortion on crime / John J. Donohue III and Steven D. Levitt (2001).