Earl B. Dickerson : a voice for freedom and equality / Robert J. Blakely, with Marcus Shepard ; forewords by John Hope Franklin and Alta M. Blakely.
|Author / Creator||
Blakely, Robert J.|
Evanston, Ill. : Northwestern University Press, 2006.|
xx, 270 p.,  p. of plates (1 folded) : ill., ports. ; 25 cm.|
Dickerson, Earl B., 1891-1986. |
Dickerson, Earl B., 1891-1986
African American politicians -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Biography.
African American lawyers -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Biography.
African Americans -- Civil rights -- Illinois -- Chicago -- History -- 20th century.
African American lawyers.
African American politicians.
African Americans -- Civil rights.
Politics and government
Chicago (Ill.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
Illinois -- Chicago.
E-Resource, Print, Book|
|URL for this record||
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1. The Early Years: From Mississippi to Chicago
- Chapter 2. World War I and Its Aftermath: The Promise of Freedom
- Chapter 3. Years of Emergence
- Chapter 4. Alderman Dickerson
- Chapter 5. The Fight Against Racially Restrictive Covenants
- Chapter 6. The First Fair Employment Practices Committee
- Chapter 7. Consolidating Gains: Lawyer, Leader, and Activist
- Chapter 8. The Supreme Life Insurance Company
- Chapter 9. The Later Years: National Gadfly and Community Activist
- Chapter 10. Assessing a Life and a Man