Women, quotas and politics /
|Imprint:||London ; New York : Routledge, 2006.|
|Description:||xii, 312 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Series:||Routledge research in comparative politics ; 10|
|Subject:||Women in politics -- Cross-cultural studies.|
Women suffrage -- Cross-cultural studies.
Political participation -- Cross-cultural studies.
Representative government and representation -- Cross-cultural studies.
Elections -- Cross-cultural studies.
Democracy -- Cross-cultural studies.
Representative government and representation.
Women -- Political activity.
Women -- Suffrage.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/5862122|
Table of Contents:
- 1. Introduction / Drude Dahlerup
- 2. Arguing for and against quotas : theoretical issues / Carol Bacchi
- 3. The Nordic countries : an incremental model / Lenita Freidenvall, Drude Dahlerup and Hege Skjeie
- 4. Latin America : the experience and the impact of quotas in Latin America / Clara Araujo and Ana Isabel Garcia
- 5. Sub-Saharan Africa : on the fast track to women's political representation / Aili Tripp, Dior Konate and Colleen Lowe-Morna
- 6. The Balkans : from total rejection to gradual acceptance of gender quotas / Miliga G. Antic and Sonja Lokar
- 7. The Arab region : women's access to the decision-making process across the Arab nation / Gihan Abou-Zeid
- 8. Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand : gender quotas in the context of citizenship models / Mona Lena Krook, Joni Lovenduski and Judith Squires
- 9. South Asia : gender quotas and the politics of empowerment - a comparative study / Shirin M. Rai, Farzana Bari, Nazmunessa Mahtab and Bidyut Mohanty
- 10. Gender quotas in post-conflict states : East Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq / Julie Ballington and Drude Dahlerup
- 11. Indonesia : the struggle for gender quotas in the world's largest Muslim society / Cecilia Bylesjo and Francisia S. S. E. Seda
- 12. Affirmative action at the IPU / Kareen Jabre
- 13. Electoral quotas : frequency and effectiveness / Richard E. Matland
- 14. Conclusion / Drude Dahlerup.