Applications of feminist legal theory to women's lives : sex, violence, work, and reproduction /
|Imprint:||Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 1996.|
|Description:||xii, 1185 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Series:||Women in the political economy|
Sex and law.
Women -- Legal status, laws, etc.
Sex and law.
Women -- Legal status, laws, etc.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/2464656|
Table of Contents:
- 1. Pornography. Against the Male Flood: Censorship, Pornography, and Equality / Andrea Dworkin. Not a Moral Issue / Catharine A. MacKinnon. Francis Biddle's Sister: Pornography, Civil Rights, and Speech / Catharine A. MacKinnon. Pornography and the First Amendment: A Reply to Professor MacKinnon / Thomas I. Emerson. Whose Right? Ronald Dworkin, Women, and Pornographers / Rae Langton. American Booksellers Ass'n Inc. v. Hudnut. Butler v. The Queen. Brief Amici Curiae of Feminist Anti-Censorship Taskforce et al., in American Booksellers Association, Inc. v. Hudnut / Nan D. Hunter and Sylvia A. Law. A Feminist Critique of "The" Feminist Critique of Pornography / Nadine Strossen. Sex, Sin, and Women's Liberation: Against Porn-Suppression / Carlin Meyer. The Difference in Women's Hedonic Lives: A Phenomenological Critique of Feminist Legal Theory / Robin L. West
- 2. Prostitution. Male Vice and Female Virtue: Feminism and the Politics of Prostitution in Nineteenth-Century Britain / Judith R. Walkowitz. Charges Against Prostitution: An Attempt at a Philosophical Assessment / Lars O. Ericsson. Defending Prostitution: Charges Against Ericsson / Carole Pateman. Prostitution and Civil Rights / Catharine A. MacKinnon. The Feminist Debate over Prostitution Reform: Prostitutes' Rights Groups, Radical Feminists, and the (Im)possibility of Consent / Jody Freeman. A Postmodern Feminist Legal Manifesto (An Unfinished Draft) / Mary Joe Frug. Split at the Root: Prostitution and Feminist Discourses of Law Reform / Margaret A. Baldwin
- 3. Battered Women. The Roots of the Battered Women's Movement: Personal and Political / Susan Schechter. State v. Wanrow. Describing and Changing: Women's Self-Defense Work and the Problem of Expert Testimony on Battering / Elizabeth M. Schneider. Women's Experience and the Problem of Transition: Perspectives on Male Battering of Women / Christine A. Littleton. Legal Images of Battered Women: Redefining the Issue of Separation / Martha R. Mahoney. Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence Against Women of Color / Kimberle Crenshaw. Lavender Bruises: Intra-Lesbian Violence, Law and Lesbian Legal Theory / Ruthann Robson. The Violence of Privacy / Elizabeth M. Schneider
- 4. Rape. Rape: The All-American Crime / Susan Griffin. Rape / Susan Estrich. Michael M. v. Superior Court. Statutory Rape: A Feminist Critique of Rights Analysis / Frances Olsen. Rape: On Coercion and Consent / Catharine A. MacKinnon. Date Rape: A Feminist Analysis / Lois Pineau. Rape, Racism, and the Law / Jennifer Wriggins. Equality Theory, Marital Rape, and the Promise of the Fourteenth Amendment / Robin West
- 5. Employment. Work and Family: The Gender Paradox and the Limitations of Discrimination Analysis in Restructuring the Workplace / Nancy E. Dowd. EEOC v. Sears, Roebuck & Co. EEOC v. Sears, Roebuck & Co. (Appellate Opinion). Equal Employment Opportunity Commission v. Sears, Roebuck & Company: A Personal Account / Alice Kessler-Harris. Deconstructing Equality-Versus-Difference: Or, the Uses of Poststructuralist Theory for Feminism / Joan W. Scott. Deconstructing Gender / Joan C. Williams. Telling Stories about Women and Work: Judicial Interpretations of Sex Segregation in the Workplace in Title VII Cases Raising the Lack of Interest Argument / Vicki Schultz. Feminizing Unions: Challenging the Gendered Structure of Wage Labor / Marion G. Crain. Comparable Worth and Its Impact on Black Women / Julianne Malveaux. Barriers Facing Women in the Wage-Labor Market and the Need for Additional Remedies: A Reply to Fischel and Lazear / Mary E. Becker. Social Construction of Skill: Gender, Power, and Comparable Worth / Ronnie J. Steinberg. Meritor Savings Bank v. Vinson. Ellison v. Brady. Sex at Work / Susan Estrich. "What's the Big Deal?" Women in the New York City Construction Industry and Sexual Harassment Law, 1970-1985 / Elvia R. Arriola. Employer Abuse, Worker Resistance, and the Tort of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress / Regina Austin. Feminist Constructions of Objectivity: Multiple Perspectives on Sexual and Racial Harassment Litigation / Martha Chamallas. Whose Story Is It, Anyway? Feminist and Antiracist Appropriations of Anita Hill / Kimberle Crenshaw. Exit: Power and the Idea of Leaving in Love, Work, and the Confirmation Hearings / Martha R. Mahoney
- 6. Motherhood and Reproductive Control. M Is for the Many Things / Carol Sanger. Punishing Drug Addicts Who Have Babies: Women of Color, Equality, and the Right of Privacy / Dorothy E. Roberts. The Colonization of the Womb / Nancy Ehrenreich. Sapphire Bound! / Regina Austin. Child Abuse: A Problem for Feminist Theory / Marie Ashe and Naomi R. Cahn. Roe v. Wade. The Struggle for Reproductive Freedom: Three Stages of Feminism / Linda Gordon. A Defense of Abortion / Judith Jarvis Thomson. Privacy v. Equality: Beyond Roe v. Wade / Catharine A. MacKinnon. Reasoning from the Body: A Historical Perspective on Abortion Regulation and Questions of Equal Protection / Reva Siegel. Reproductive Laws, Women of Color, and Low-Income Women / Laurie Nsiah-Jefferson. An Equal Protection Analysis of U.S. Reproductive Health Policy: Gender, Race, Age, and Class / Ruth Colker. Reproductive Freedom and Violence Against Women: Where Are the Intersections? / Lori L. Heise. In the Matter of Baby M. Society's Response to the New Reproductive Technologies: The Feminist Perspective / Norma Juliet Wikler. Surrogate Motherhood: The Challenge for Feminists / Lori B. Andrews. The Ethics and Economics of Enforcing Contracts of Surrogate Motherhood / Richard A. Posner. Junk Liberty / Gena Corea. The Socio-Economic Struggle for Equality: The Black Surrogate Mother / Anita L. Allen. Market-Inalienability / Margaret Jane Radin. A Feminist Analysis of Adoption / Nancy E. Dowd.