Language in culture : conference on the interrelations of language and other aspects of culture /
|Author / Creator:||Hoijer, Harry, 1904-1976|
|Imprint:||Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1954.|
|Description:||ix, 286 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Series:||Comparative studies of cultures and civilizations|
Memoirs of the American Anthropological Association ; no. 79.
|Subject:||Language and languages|
Language and languages.
Conference papers and proceedings.
|Local Note:||University of Chicago Library's copy 1 has original dust jacket.|
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/2100515|
Table of Contents:
- Part I. The papers. Concerning inferences from linguistic to nonlinguistic data / Joseph H. Greenberg
- Analysis of the cultural content of language materials / Norman A. McQuown
- Shawnee laws: perceptual statements for the language and for the content / C. F. Voegelin, John F. Yegerlehner, and Florence M. Robinett
- Examination of the conceptions of Benjamin Whorf in the light of theories of perception and cognition / Franklin Fearing
- Semantic problems in grammatical systems and lexemes: a search for method / Stanley Newman
- Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis / Harry Hoijer
- Chinese versus English: an exploration of the Whorfian theses / Charles F. Hockett.
- Part II. The discussions. First session. Inferences from linguistic to nonlinguistic data. Second session. Cultural content of language materials. Third session. Gestalt theory and language. Fourth session. Whorf Hypothesis and psychological theory. Fifth session. Identifying the dominanat conceptual categories in a language. Sixth session. Problem of the Whorf Hypothesis. Seventh session. Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis. Eighth session. Chinese versus English: an exploration of the Whorfian thesis. Ninth session. Strategy of research in the interrelations of language and other aspects of culture.