Playing favorites : gifted education and the disruption of community /
|Author / Creator:||Sapon-Shevin, Mara|
|Imprint:||Albany, N.Y.: State University of New York Press, c1994.|
|Description:||xxx, 275 p. ; 24 cm.|
|Subject:||Gifted children -- Education -- United States|
Gifted children -- United States -- Identification.
Gifted children -- Education.
Gifted children -- Identification.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/1585695|
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Schools as Communities
- 1. Underserved and Over-Deserving: Rationales for the Support of Gifted Education
- 2. They're Good, They Don't Ask: Silence and Voice on Gifted Education
- 3. It Takes a Special Person to Work with Those Kids: Teachers and the Gifted Category
- 4. These Kids Really Show Themselves Early: Choosing Children for the Enrichment Program
- 5. I Only Want What's Best for My Child: Parents and Gifted Education
- 6. The Kids with Disposable Incomes: Meritocracy and Gifted Education
- 7. Visions of an Inclusive Future