Genesis, creation, and creationism /
|Author / Creator:||Bailey, Lloyd R., 1936-|
|Imprint:||New York : Paulist Press, c1993.|
|Description:||xi, 259 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.|
|Subject:||Bible. -- Genesis I -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.|
Bible. -- Genesis, I.
Creationism -- Controversial literature.
Bible and evolution
Bible and evolution.
Criticism, interpretation, etc.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/1461398|
Table of Contents:
- Pt. 1. What Is "Creationism"? I. The Problem of Terminology. II. "Creationism": Biblical and Scientific. 1. "Biblical Creationism" 2. "Scientific Creationism" (Also Called "Creation Science"). III. A Multi-Faceted Movement
- Pt. 2. Genesis and Creation. IV. Indications of What the Biblical Agenda Is Not. 1. The Ages of Persons in Israel's Primeval Story (at Chapters 5 and 11). 2. The Primeval Ages in Non-Masoretic Texts. 3. The Structure of Genealogies in Israel's Primeval Story. 4. Genealogy and the Origins of Civilization. 5. The Sequence of the Acts of Creation in Genesis 1. 6. The Sequence of Human Emergence in Genesis 2:4b-25. V. Indications of What the Biblical Agenda Is. 19. The Revelation at Mount Sinai/Horeb. 2. The Shape of Thought Units in the Primeval Story. 3. Genesis 1:1-2:4a as a Complete Thought Unit. 4. The Construction and Goal of the Creation Story. VI. Does the Text Describe "Creation out of Nothing"? 1. The Meaning of the First Word of the Bible. 2. The Punctuation of the First Word of the Bible. 3. The Syntax of the First Verse of the Bible. 4. The Syntax of the First Three Verses of the Bible. 5. Parallels with Other Creation Accounts. 6. The Meaning of the Hebrew Verb "To Create" in Genesis 1. VII. An Immense Journey: From "Star-Stuff" to "Child of God" App. I. The "Gap Theory": A Chronological Gap Between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2?
- App. II. The "Day-Age Theory": How Long Is a "Day" in Genesis 1:2?
- App. III. The "Genealogical Gap Theory": Are There Generations Missing in the Biblical Genealogies?
- App. IV. "Creationist" Principles of Interpretation
- App. V. Ecclesiastical Statements Concerning "Creationism"
- App. VI. Radiometric Dating Techniques
- App. VII. Numbers: Sacred and Symbolic Usage (and the Number Seven in Particular)
- App. VIII. Gematria
- App. IX. Is "Scientific Creationism" Independent of "Biblical Creationism"?
- App. X. Creation "out of Nothing"?
- App. XI. The Cosmology of the Ancient Semites
- App. XII. Elapsed Time from Adam to the Flood According to the Greek Bible (LXX)
- App. XIII. The Date of the Second Temple as a Reflection of Calculation in Base-60
- App. XIV. Anti-Evolutionism and the Courts
- App. XV. McLean vs. the Arkansas Board of Education (U.S. District Court)
- App. XVI. Berossos, W-B Text 444, and the Pre-Diluvian Ages in Genesis 5.