Read, write, lead : breakthrough strategies for schoolwide literacy success /
|Author / Creator:||Routman, Regie.|
|Imprint:||Alexandria : ASCD, 2014.|
|Description:||1 online resource (xvii, 356 pages)|
|Subject:||Language arts (Elementary)|
Language arts (Secondary)
Language arts (Elementary)
Language arts (Secondary)
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/12588075|
Table of Contents:
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Dedication; Table of Contents; Note; Acknowledgments; Introduction: Why This Book, and Who Is It For?; Quick Wins; 1-Literacy and Leadership: Change That Matters; Learning from Teaching and Leading; Literacy Insights; Leadership Insights; Prepare People for Worthwhile Change; Put in Place a Solid Infrastructure; Focus on Worthwhile Instruction and Learning; Establish a Culture of Professional Trust; Professional Trust: What It Is and Why It Matters; Take Action to Promote Professional Trust; Become a "Positive Deviant"-A Force for Helpful Change.
- Develop a Mindset for High AchievementTeach with a Sense of Agency and Urgency; Ask Uncommon Questions; Become a Teacher Who Also Leads; Become a Leader Who Also Knows Literacy; 2-Responsive Instruction, Feedback, and Assessment; Teach and Assess Responsively; Ask the Most Essential Questions First; Teach with Authenticity; Plan with the End in Mind; Provide More Choice Within Structure; Hear All the Voices; Embed Formative Assessment; Apply an Optimal Learning Model; Embrace Seamless Teaching; Shift to Whole-Part-Whole Teaching; Rely on Excellent Demonstrations.
- Provide More Shared ExperiencesBuild in Sustained and Guided Practice; Work Toward Independence in Learning; Reap the Benefits of the OLM; Provide Effective Feedback; Apply Feedback Essentials; Use Effective Feedback to Build Professional Trust; 3-Reading and Writing Priorities; Develop Shared Beliefs; Start with Schoolwide Discussion of Literacy Beliefs; Connect Beliefs with Excellent Instructional Practices; Provide Access to Appropriate Texts; Ensure Access to Books for All Students; Use Riveting Literature; Establish Excellent Classroom Libraries with Students.
- Guide Students to Choose Books They Can ReadUnderstand Text Complexity; Apply Reading Levels Judiciously; Expand Background Knowledge; Integrate Social Media and Technology into Literacy; Write for Audience and Purpose; Make Writing Authentic; Simplify the Teaching of Writing; Become a Writing Role Model; Notice What Authors Do; Embrace Public Writing Conferences; Put the Writer Before the Writing; Read for Enjoyment and Understanding; Focus on Reading Joy as Well as Reading Progress; Be a Reading Role Model; Rely on Relevant Research; Emphasize Comprehension.
- Provide Adequate Reading SupportsEnsure Sustained Time for Independent Reading; Instill Daily Reading Conferences; Aim for Self-Determining Readers; 4-Reducing the Need for Intervention; Focus Teaching at the Universal Level; Increase Teacher Effectiveness; Apply the Common Core Standards Wisely; Emphasize Prevention; Ensure Excellent Literacy Instruction in Kindergarten; Intervene Early; Avoid Summer Reading Loss; Embrace the Reading/Writing Connection; Employ Principles of Response to Intervention; Focus on Meaning; Choose Programs and Resources Carefully: Pay Attention to Research.