Counterfactual Romanticism / edited by Damian Walford Davies.
Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2019.|
1 online resource (xii, 324 pages)|
Interventions : rethinking the nineteenth century|
Romanticism -- History and criticism.|
Romanticism -- Philosophy.
Literature, Modern -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
LITERARY CRITICISM -- European -- General.
Criticism, interpretation, etc.
|URL for this record||
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : counterfactual Romanticism / Damian Walford Davies
- 'The object as in itself it really is not' : counterfactual Romanticism and the aesthetics of contingency / Anne C. McCarthy
- Door-to-door and across-the-counter factuals : history as fashion, furniture, fraud, forgery, folklore and fiction in the Romantic onset of modernity / Gary Kelly
- The possibilists : Romantic-era literary forgery and British alternative pasts / Mary-Ann Constantine
- Sophia Lee's The recess and the epistemology of the counterfactual / Tilottama Rajan
- Lord Byron reads The prelude / Kenneth R. Johnston
- Counterfactual obstetrics : Mary Wollstonecraft's Frankenstein / Damian Walford Davies
- John Thelwall : a counterfactual ghost story / Judith Thompson
- Counterfactual speculations in late Romanticism : Scott, Banim, Galt and Mitford / Angela Esterhammer
- Piratical counterfactual, piratical counterfictional : from Misson to melodrama / Manushag N. Powell
- Romanticism and the (counterfactual) Chinese awakening / Peter J. Kitson
- Counterfactual and future Romanticisms : the academy and the canon / Edward Larrissy.