The Routledge companion to dance studies /
|Imprint:||Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.|
|Description:||1 online resource ( xvii, 509 pages)|
|Series:||Routledge theatre and performance companions|
Routledge theatre and performance companions.
PERFORMING ARTS -- Dance -- General.
PERFORMING ARTS -- Theater -- General.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/12479785|
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Thematic structure, methodological frames, and analyses / Helen Thomas and Stacey Prickett
- Part I. Dance and corporeality : training and engagement. Dancing the space : Butoh and Body Weather as training for ecological consciousness / Rosemary Candelario ; The dancing body, power, and the transmission of collective memory in Apartheid South Africa / Catherine F. Botha ; Different bodies : a poetic study of dance and people with Parkinson's / Sara Houston ; Resourcing/searching dance technique and education : developing a praxeological methodology / Yvonne Hardt ; The expanding possibilities of dance science / Emma Redding
- Part II. Dance and somatics. Performing the self : dance, somatic practices, and Alexander Technique / Michael Huxley ; Moving kinship : between choreography, performance, and the more-than-human / Beatrice Allegranti ; Moving as a thought process : the practice of choreography and stillness / Naomi Lefebvre Sell with Tara Silverthorn and Lucille Teppa ; Moving mind and body : language and writings of Simone Forti / Hiie Saumaa
- Part III. Dance and analysis. Choreomusicology and dance studies : from beginning to end? / Stephanie Jordan ; Choreosonic wearables : creative collaborative practices / Michèle Danjoux ; The anarchive of contemporary dance : toward a topographic understanding of choreography / Timmy De Laet ; Cubism, futurism, and Leonide Massine's choreography for Parade / Gay Morris ; Whatever happened to dance criticism? / Erin Brannigan
- Part IV. Dance, society and culture. Black dance : Brooklyn 2017 / Nadine George-Graves ; Elroy Josephs and the hidden history of black British dance / Ramsay Burt ; A love song as a form of protest / Danielle Goldman ; Female dancers on the variety stage in mid-twentieth-century Britain / Larraine Nicholas ; Selling and giving dance / Susan Leigh Foster
- Part V. Dance and time. Traditional dance in urban settings : 'snapshots' of Greek dance traditions in Athens / Maria I. Koutsouba ; Black star, other fetishized : Carlos Acosta, ballet's new cosmopolitanism, and desire in the age of institutional diversity / Lester Tomé ; Digital preservation of dance, inclusion, and absence / Sarah Whatley ; Dance and copyright : as time moves on / Charlotte Waelde ; Algorithmic choreographies : women whirling dervishes and dance heritage on YouTube / Sheenagh Pietrobruno
- Part VI. Dance and scenography. Dressing dance--dancing dress : lived experience of dress and its agency in the collaborative process / Jessica Bugg ; The scenography of choreographing the museum / Johan Stjernholm ; Stacking the spine : interdisciplinary reflections from BackStories / Becka McFadden ; Longing for the subaltern : subaltern historiography as choreographic tactic / Cynthia Ling Lee
- Part VII. Dance, space, and place. The strangeness of dancing : from The changing room and Singularity / Carol Brown ; Everyday life and urban marvels : the curious aesthetics of x-times people chair / Alexandra Kolb ; Dance, theater, and their post-medium condition / Gerald Siegmund ; Re-imagining Laban : tradition, extinction, invention : re-staging as creative contemporary practice / Alison Curtis-Jones ; "Dancing through the hard stuff ": repetition, resilience, and female solidarity in the landscape : Rosemary Lee's Passage for Par / Rosemary Lee and Ruth Pethybridge.