Archival futures /
|Imprint:||London : Facet Publishing, 2018.|
|Description:||1 online resource|
|Series:||Facet books for archivists and records managers|
Facet books for archivists and records managers.
LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES -- Library & Information Science -- Archives & Special Libraries.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/12021736|
Table of Contents:
- Intro; Title page; Contents; Notes on contributors; Introduction; 1 It's the end of the archival profession as we know it, and I feel fine; Introduction; Technology and professionalism; The end of gatekeepers; Proactive professionalism; Communication, participation and data; Innovation and anxiety; Archival values, archivists and the future; Conclusion; References; 2 Whose truth? Records and archives as evidence in the era of post-truth and disinformation; Introduction; Challenges; Trust in technology; What is being done?; What should be done?; Conclusion; References
- 3 The future of archives as networked, decentralised, autonomous and globalIntroduction; What is blockchain technology?; Why is blockchain of interest to archives and records professionals?; How might blockchain change archival institutions and archival practice?; Archival education for a blockchain future; Conclusion; References; 4 Can we keep everything? The future of appraisal in a world of digital profusion; Introduction; Selective retention; A new perspective; Feasibilities of change; Retention transformed?; Conclusion; References; 5 Frames and the future of archival processing
- IntroductionUn-framing archival processing: moving information across systems; Un-framing archival processing: documenting records-creating; Un-framing archival processing: information processing; Sense-making; Conclusion; References; 6 Access technologies for the disruptive digital archive; Introduction; The past is digital; Enrich and contextualise; Confidence and trust; Discovery, presentation and use; Conclusion: the future is digital; Notes; References; Acknowledgements; 7 Multiple rights in records: the role of recordkeeping informatics; Introduction; Recordkeeping informatics
- Recordkeeping for childhood out-of-home careBuilding block: continuum thinking; Facets of analysis: information culture; Facets of analysis: business process analysis; Facets of analysis: access; Building block: metadata; Conclusion; References; APPENDIX to Chapter 7; 8 The accidental archive; Introduction; The internet as archive; The archival impulse; The difficulties of archiving the internet; Inaccessible content on the internet; Size and complexity issues; The weaknesses of internet archiving; The Twitter archive; We are all part of the archive
- The ontology of the archive in the internet worldThe temporality of the archive in the internet world; Conclusion; Notes; References; Acknowledgements; 9 The end of archival ideas?; Introduction; Definitions; From an archival Age of Reason to an archival Age of Ideas; The end of archival ideas in an age of information; The future of the profession?; Conclusion; References; Index