Advocacy and public speaking : a student's introduction /
This book is intended to give practical advice to anyone embarking upon a career involving advocacy or public speaking. The authors' extensive experience informs topics such as speaking in public, preparing a case for court, examination in chief, ethics and professional conduct and alternative...
|Author / Creator:||Halbert, Derek, author.|
|Imprint:||Chester : University of Chester Press, 2016.|
|Description:||1 online resource (1 volume)|
LAW -- Civil Procedure.
LAW -- Legal Services.
POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Government -- Judicial Branch.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/11383948|
- Front cover; Title pages; Copyright page; Dedication; Contents; Foreword; Preface; About the authors; Abbreviations; CHAPTER 1
- TWELVE RULES FOR SPEAKING IN PUBLIC; Rule 1: Prepare Thoroughly; Rule 2: Speak Slowly and Clearly; Rule 3: Talk to Your Audience, Not at Them; Rule 4: Eliminate Nonsense Words; Rule 6: Try to Think in Complete Sentences; Rule 7: Use Appropriate Language; Rule 9: Look at the Reaction of Your Audience; Rule 10: Keep it Short; Rule 11: Disguise Any Nerves; Rule 12: Learn and Use the Skills of Rhetoric; CHAPTER 2
- PREPARING A SPEECH.
- CHAPTER 3
- PREPARING A CASE FOR COURTCHAPTER 4
- HOW TO RESEARCH, ASSEMBLE AND PRESENT A LEGAL ARGUMENT; CHAPTER 5
- HOW TO DRAFT A SKELETON ARGUMENT; CHAPTER 6
- EXAMINING, CROSS-EXAMINING AND RE-EXAMINING WITNESSES; CHAPTER 7
- SPEECHES IN CRIMINAL CASES; CHAPTER 8
- ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT; CHAPTER 9
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION; CHAPTER 10
- ENHANCING YOUR EMPLOYABILITY; POSTSCRIPT; APPENDIX; SOME GREAT SPEECHES; Queen Elizabeth I: Speech to her army before the arrival of the Spanish Armada, 1588; Abraham Lincoln: The Gettysburg Address, ; 19 November 18638F; Susan B Anthony.
- Womens' Votes Campaign Speech 187317FWinston Churchill: 'We Shall Fight' Speech to the; House of Commons, 4 June 1940; Winston Churchill; 'This Was their Finest Hour'; Speech to the House of Commons, 18 June 1940; John F Kennedy: Inaugural Address; 20 January 1961; John F Kennedy; 'Ich Bin Ein Berliner'; Speech to a mass audience in Berlin, 26 June 1963; Robert F Kennedy; Speech at Indianapolis announcing the death of Martin Luther King, 4 April 1968106F; COPYRIGHT ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS; TWELVE RULES FOR SPEAKING IN PUBLIC ; PREPARING A SPEECH ; PREPARING A CASE FOR COURT ; CHAPTER 4.
- HOW TO RESEARCH, ASSEMBLE AND PRESENT A LEGAL ARGUMENT ; CHAPTER 5 ; HOW TO DRAFT A SKELETON ARGUMENT ; CHAPTER 6 ; EXAMINING, CROSS-EXAMINING AND ; RE-EXAMINING WITNESSES ; CHAPTER 7 ; SPEECHES IN CRIMINAL CASES ; ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT ; CHAPTER 9 ; ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION.
- The result is that if you become a professional advocate you may well be called upon to advise a client to participate in ADR. You may be required to conduct your client's case at an ADR hearing. Finally, in a family case your client may well be forced into an ADR process, albeit one in which you are unlikely to be directly involved. CHAPTER 10 ENHANCING YOUR EMPLOYABILITY ; POSTSCRIPT ; APPENDIX ; SOME GREAT SPEECHES ; Untitled; Back cover.