Insanity, institutions, and society, 1800-1914 /
|Imprint:||London ; New York : Routledge, 1999.|
|Description:||1 online resource (xii, 328 pages) : illustrations|
|Series:||Studies in the social history of medicine|
Studies in the social history of medicine.
|Subject:||Psychiatric hospital care -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.|
Social psychiatry -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Mental health laws -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Hospitals, Psychiatric -- history.
PSYCHOLOGY -- Mental Health.
PSYCHOLOGY -- Mental Illness.
MEDICAL -- Mental Health.
Mental health laws.
Psychiatric hospital care.
|URL for this record:||http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/11117005|
Table of Contents:
- Accommodating madness: new research in the social history of insanity and institutions / Joseph Melling
- The county asylum in the mixed economy of care, 1880-1845 / Leonard D. Smith
- The asylum and the poor law: the productive alliance / Peter Bartlett
- Politics of lunacy: central state regulation and the Devon pauper lunatic asylum, 1845-1914 / Bill Forsythe, Joseph Melling and Richard Adair
- The discharge of pauper lunatics from county asylums in mid-Victorian England: the case of Buckinghamshire, 1853-1872 / David Wright
- Framing psychiatric subjectivity: doctor, patient and record-keeping at Bethlem in the nineteenth century / Arkihito Suzuki
- 'Destined to a perfect recovery': the confinement of perpetual insanity in the nineteenth century / Hilary Marland
- Establishing the 'rule of kindness': the foundation of the North Wales Lunatic Asylum, Denbigh / Pamela Michael and David Hirst
- 'The property of the whole community'. Charity and insanity in urban Scotland: the Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum, 1805-1850 / Lorraine Walsh
- Raising the tone of asylumdom: maintaining and expelling pauper lunatics the Glasgow Royal asylum in the nineteenth century / Jonathan Andrews
- "The designs of providence": race, religion and Irish insanity / OOnagh Walsh
- Out of sight and out of mind: insanity in early-nineteenth-century British India / Waltraud Ernst
- Every facility that modern science and enlightened humanity have devised: race and progress in a colonial hospital. Valkenberg Mental Asylum, Cape Colony, 1894-1910 / Shula Marks
- Rethinking the history of asylumdom / Andrew Scull.